Thursday, November 5, 2009

Why can't I get my two computers to talk to each other? Both on same workgroup and 1 sees the o

Brand new computer will get on the internet but will not show itself or other computers in network places. Old computer shows the new one but doesn't allow access to browes it. Both have been set to the same workgroup numberous times. I have gotten many networks to work in the past. I am using a wireless router but computers are wired. Both will get onto internet. The IP addresses are sequential (.100 and .101) What am I doing wrong? Is there something in xp I now have to turn on or off? i have nortin on the new one. I have tried to shut it off and connect the network at it doesn't work also. PLEASE HELP IT IS MAKING ME CRAZY



Why can't I get my two computers to talk to each other? Both on same workgroup and 1 sees the other.?internet security



If they're both using XP service pack 2, and you're using the built in firewall, you need to "open Windows Firewall in Control Panel, and select the File and Printer Sharing check box on the Exceptions tab" on both PCs to allow them to communicate with each other.



If you're using a third party firewall in place of the built in firewall, you need to define a zone (range of IP addresses) where all traffic is allowed.



Why can't I get my two computers to talk to each other? Both on same workgroup and 1 sees the other.?network security



have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040. It covers just about any issue you would have and links to other knowledge base articles about firewalls etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment