Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wiring couple of computers to a wired router. Will it affect speed?

I have a high speed cable internet. I'm planning to buy a wired(not wireless) router so that I can connect it to 2 desk tops and occcasionally to a laptop.



I probably won't use the computers at the same time but wants the desk top connected to a single cable internet via a wired router. Mainly so that I don't have to hook and unhook it. Will there be any issues with it?



Will it slow down speed? Can it work that way? I'll be the only user. I'm eventually going to get a wireless but can't do it due to technical issues.



I appreciate any advise from you computer geniuses.



p.s. Where do I buy a connector "wire" for this. Will radio shack have it. I already have the router.



Thanks,



Johnny B.



Wiring couple of computers to a wired router. Will it affect speed?liveupdate



You won't see any performance loss at all, and here is why.



Your high speed modem talks to the internet at 1MPS or 2MPS speed, while your router talks at 10 or 100 MPS. This means that your network is MUCH faster than the outside connection. You can share drives, share printers and other stuff within your network. But also, when one computer is at one website, and the other computer is at another, the internet messages easily overlap without delay on the internet. Even if two computers are downloading some really big files, you might not notice it slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment