Sunday, September 20, 2009

Can I connect two computers at the same time to my dial-up account? How is this done?

I have two computers at home, but can only use one when I connect to my dialup account. Was just wondering if the two computers can share the same dialup account at the same time...Any suggestions......Thanks.



Can I connect two computers at the same time to my dial-up account? How is this done?downloads



YES - They can share a dial-up connection. I just had 5 Windows Xp computers sharing a dial-up connection, while I waited for my broadband to be connected. I believe I started here http://www.practicallynetworked.com/shar...



and the rest was my knowledge of computers and networking that got me through.



Can I connect two computers at the same time to my dial-up account? How is this done?house call



You can do this several ways. The easiest is to get a device called a networked modem, 3COM makes one. It is basically a hub with a modem on it. You can set it up to connect to your ISP, and whenever any computer hooked to it requests internet, it automatically dials it up. The cheap way to do it is to use internet connection sharing built into Windows. However, the downfall of that is that one computer must always be up and functional in order for the other one to connect.
You hook up the ethernet cable from both computers into the modem/router whichever you have, and it should work. If it doesn't then you connect your networks, and make them on the same network so they may function on the same plane of the computer system.
I really don't think you want 2 systems on one dial-up it's slow enough with just 1
You should be able to share your dialup connection just like any other shared internet connection. You will need to use ICS through your Network Connections folder. Go into the Network Connections and on the left select and click the Network Setup Wizard. You may need to call your ISP and ask if you need any special cable or other hardware to configure your network connection. I am sorry I do not have detailed instructions on how to do this, but your best bet really is to talk with your ISP about this.



Good luck and have a nice day!
i think you have to go wireless

No comments:

Post a Comment