Sunday, September 20, 2009

How to network 2 computers to share files and print?

ok here is my dilemma. I have one desktop which is connected to the printer and connected to DSL, and running Windows Vista. Then I have a laptop which is running wireless internet with Windows XP. I am trying to be able to share files between computers, but I have the slightest Idea how to do it. I'm not really computer literate so if someone could walk me step by step on how to do it. The end result I want to happen is I'm able to print from downstairs using my wireless laptop, and to share and copy pics, and files from the desktop upstairs. Thanks in advance, and I hope I didnt confuse some people....LOL!!



How to network 2 computers to share files and print?hp



The question is simple; answer is also simple provided you have some knowledge on your existing setup.



I am assuming the following and answering your question with a 2 phase approach



Assumptions



1)You can PING your Visa PC from your lap top using either the hostname or IP address



2)You have enabled file and print sharing in Windows Vista



3)You have a router with some security feature that restricts wireless access only to your systems. This feature is configured and enabled.



4)



To print from lap top



1)On Vista PC select the printer, right click, properties, sharing and select Share this printer. Give a short share name and note down the share name and the vista PC name

No comments:

Post a Comment